Monday, June 20, 2016

Day 118: When Kids Remodel The Living Room

I've been taking advantage of summer vacation by letting the kids (who normally get up at o'dark thirty (6am)) go downstairs on their own, turn on Disney Jr or Nick Jr or whatever it is they choose to watch, and pour their own cereal, while I lay my lazy ass in bed and get two extra hours of sleep. It's a luxury we've done for about a year now and.I.love.it.

Normally, the kids get in minimal mischief while I'm sleeping. You know, harmless stuff, like eating an entire box of cereal in one morning (SEVEN bowls of cereal) or tossing all the already folded laundry on the floor because it was in the way of their race track they had made on the sofa for their matchbox cars. 

I might have stretched my luck a little. 

This morning I wake up and come downstairs, to the boys crawling out from behind the fireplace yelling "SURPRISE!" and proceeded to hum the Star Wars intro song. "It's a Star Wars living room!!" they shouted gleefully. 

And it was a Star Wars living room. They took ALL the stickers out of their new Force Awakens color/activity book and stuck them all over the walls. The big wall, the window sill, next to the TV, next to Brad's chair. Cam even took his Jurassic World stickers and made a delightful collage of velicorapters next to my chair at the dining room table. 

The boys were SO giddy and pleased with themselves that I didn't have the heart to show them the panic behind my eyes of ohmygawd HOW sticky are those stickers...will they ever come off or do we have to stare at them for the next 3 years? So I thanked them for a beautiful new living room and promised it could stay up for the day and to please please please keep stickers on paper from now on. 

The good news is the stickers come off the walls easily without a fuss. Crisis averted. 

Pick your battles, people. 

All those tiny dots are stickers. Also to the left near our window.
Cam's Jurassic World mural

No comments:

Post a Comment