Saturday, August 4, 2012

222 Candles

So yesterday was the Coast Guard's birthday (which makes me wonder, who  do I say "Happy Birthday' to? Which I need to figure out soon, because I'm sure in the coming years one of the boys is going to ask me this impossible question and I want to wow them by actually having an answer in my back pocket) and today was the big birthday picnic at the base. 

Coastie brats ready for the picnic
In the four years of us being stationed in Seattle, they never had a picnic or any kind of to-do really (except for a couple really pathetic attempts at a Christmas party). One good thing about living on a humongous base like Cape May, they do events right.

Daddy throwing Calen down the water tunnel thing
It was five thousand degrees today so we didn't long at the picnic, especially since the closest tree (and therefore shade) was probably half a mile away. But we did make sure to score a big free picnic lunch and hit some little carnival rides. Calen and his new neighbor friends hit up the bounce house, the large water slide and some strange random water tunnel thing before we were all too hot and crabby (especially the short curly haired member of our group) so we snagged a quick Sno-cone and headed home.


Sno-cone break. Don't mind Calen's bruised lip from a face plant yesterday. I swear I don't beat my kids.
Once we got home we set up our own Coast Guard Day in our front yard. We blew up the big water slide again and also had the pool and the sprinkler set up, while the boys and the neighbor girls spent three additional hours in the hot sun. (we spent three additional hours in the coolish shade). Overall we were outside for almost six hours in 90 degree weather. The good news is, our front yard will not have to be watered for the next 17 years. The bad news is that the yard is now National Swampland. Cam was so tired he didn't even eat dinner. That kid not eating is like a dog hating water. Oh wait...my dogs DO hate water. Hmmm. Bad example.

Standing in a bucket, in the pool, pouring a bucket of water on his head. Who needs the picnic? We make our own fun.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment