Friday, August 10, 2012

It Rained Today So....

....This is what I spent my day doing.


Home made salsa! My first canning experience ever (I really hope I don't open it six months from now to find it green, moldy and smiling at me). My mom used to can peaches when I was a kid so I really hope I make her proud! Or at least moderately impressed.

Recipe:

- 10 bazillion tomatoes (from my yard)
- an onion
- jalapenos (I put in three. That was one too many. It was too HOT. And I like hot.)

- tomato paste (to thicken it up)
- a small amount of salt
- a spoonful of sugar (helps the medicine, go down!)
- a squirt of lemon
- cilantro 

Don't you love how exact I am? Hey, I'm not writing a cookbook here. I was literally just cruising through the cabinets and saying "hmmm, that looks interesting" and tossed some absurd amount of it in. 

I chopped up and threw everything (sans tomato paste) into the slow cooker and cooked on low for 3 hours. Then I blended. Then I added the paste because it was too watery (and I like THICK salsa). Throw in jars. Put in boiling water. Pray that it actually sealed. 

I actually did unscrew one lid and held up the entire jar by it's little flat lid part thing. So I'm pretty sure that means it's sealed. And I did follow canning instructions on the internet and the internet never lies...

No comments:

Post a Comment