Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pool Pirates

Calen was outside with his neighborhood friends for FIVE AND A HALF HOURS today in the hot sun playing in the water. Four hours of which were running down the redneck slip n slide (including using up two full bottles of dish soap to add to the "slip" part of the slip n slide). We retired that old painters tarp today, after two different multi-day slip n slide events with heavy use with five kids, two babies, a dog and one adult (I was totally that one adult. I was only one immature awesome enough to throw myself down it and nurse ice packs and Advil in the evenings), that tarp was torn and full of holes and it was time for it to hit the trash. But I think we got our $10 worth out of that thing.

After the non-ceremonial burying of the slip n slide, we pulled the also-torn-apart pool up to the front yard and Calen and Kyle continued their water marathon (the other kids had thrown in the towel by then). I'm pretty sure these two have grown gills and flippers after the countless hours they've spent in the water this summer. Today they had "pirate boats" (inflatable seat things) and had sword fights until one pirate would knock the other "overboard". 


Calen was so dumbfoundedly exhausted after I finally dragged him inside from overexposure to the sun/water/outdoors that as he ate dinner he threw up (thankfully, into his plate) after faking to gag on cheese covered broccoli. (Rolls eyes). I decided it was bedtime right then and there. We put on jammies and I laid in his bed to sing him a song and he was snoring by the time I had finished. It was 6:15.

Endnote: Kyle exclaimed to me that today was "such a good day" which then he later said that "it's the best day ever." Which to me filled my heart with joy. Because nothing makes me happier than giving kids fantastic memories. Especially if all it involves is painter's tarp, a cheap plastic pool and a garden hose. Awww, what a mushy mushy moment. 

Pirates. Calen actually won this sword battle and knocked Kyle off.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment