Thursday, March 24, 2016

Day 30: Being Schooled By the Student

Good news, I'm basically almost mostly healthy! Yay!

I'm not ready to like, go eat at happy hour at the China Buffet or anything, but I was actually hungry today, and successfully kept down lunch, dinner, and a bottle of ginger ale without throwing up. 

Small victories. 

My inlaws treated the kids with a new Lego set each yesterday and of course, my Minecraft-obsessed six year old picked some extravagant Minecraft set. He spent all day yesterday building it, then tried to move it on it's own (mistake) and in consequence spent all morning re-building it today. This is his favorite part about Legos. Not playing with the actual sets, but building them. Generally, Calen builds them, Camden plays with them. Everyone wins. 

But this time, for whatever reason, this Lego set called to the play-Gods inside Calen's head. He asked me to play with him and since I didn't have to leave the couch (and continue to nurse my slightly pissed off stomach), I obliged. 

And suddenly, I learned more than I ever cared to know about Minecraft. 

In one gigantic, 3,000 word sentence devoid of punctuation or pauses to breathe, Calen informed me at 105mph everything about Minecraft. The characters. The bad guys. The armor. The weapons. "And this is a lava flow and you have to be really careful when you walk by it because if you aren't careful OH NO LOOK OUT!!!! And now we have to go over here and harvest carrots because you need to eat and carrots are things we can eat and also fruit from this tree let's chop it down and and and and AND...!!!!"

So then I try to engage in playing with him while he takes half a second to take a breath. 

"Okay, well Steve here is going to go over here and mine some stone."

Insert disgusted look and legitimate rolling of eyeballs from Calen.

"Ummm actually it's cobblestone. Not 'stone'." 

Oh....sorry. Geez. 

Me: "Well this ghost is coming! Oh man, pull out your sword Steve! (makes "oooooooooooh!" ghost noises)

"Ummmm....actually it's called a ghast. With an "A". And it doesn't make ghost noises. It's almost silent like a "whooosh" noise."

My turn to roll eyeballs. I clearly have no idea what I'm doing and am being schooled by a First Grader. 

Actually, Calen and I really had a good time playing Lego Minecraft. It's rare that we play with things involving storylines and plots and dialogue. Because there's only so many "vroom vrooms" you can say while playing cars/monster trucks/space ships before it gets a little dull. 

Until you add in toy dinosaurs and/or sharks. Carnivorous violence always adds spice to playtime. 



Bonus photo: I told Camden to get juice cups for him and his brother. I never realized this is how he got them.  

Spider-Cam



No comments:

Post a Comment