Thursday, March 3, 2016

Day 9: Handymen

Calen's year old bike broke last week. Wouldn't pedal no matter how hard he tried. I assumed it was a combination of a) him being tough on his bike, riding hard, slamming on the brakes to "drift", jumping off curbs etc, and b) cheap Toys R Us brand bike + cheap parts = can't handle wear and tear. 

But we made a parenting decision and decided to teach Calen that just because something is broken, not to throw it away and buy a new one (although my first reaction when something breaks is almost always "Well eff it. Can we just get a new one?" Because I'm impatient and uninterested. However isn't the point of parenting to teach your kids to not catch on to your bad habits? Besides, Brad is way more of the "I can fix it!" Fix-It-Felix-Jr in the house. So he ordered the part the bike needed (WHERE were we without Amazon?! You mean we'd actually have to go into a store and find the part and talk to somebody? Eww.) and we waited a few excruciating days (for Calen....and myself...I'm not patient) for the part to arrive.

The part arrived today and Daddy and Calen went to work in the garage getting covered in grease and fixing his bike together and talking about whatever it is men talk about in garages. 


The bike works and Calen is happy and we're only out about $10 (instead of $100+ new damn bike). I guess my cheap ass overrules my impatience. Usually.


No comments:

Post a Comment