Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Day 5: Improvising

Today kind of went exactly the opposite of how I planned it. 

I planned a nice, relaxing day off of work, sending the kids off to school in the morning, a couple of errands to take care of, then pulling out some perfectly planned Christmas craft from Pinterest out of my ass. 

But it didn't really work out that way. 

I woke up, and it was too bright. You know that feeling? When you wake up and you don't even have to look at your clock but you know it's TOO BRIGHT which means it's later than it's supposed to be. 

To give you reference, my alarm is supposed to go off at 7am. The kids leave for school on their bikes at 8am sharp. The bell for school to start is 8:25. 

I woke up, and my phone said it was 8:23. 

And suddenly, you're AWAKE. Flying down the hallway with pants in your hands shouting downstairs "WE ARE LATE!!!! GET YOUR SHOOOOOOES!!!" followed by panicked screams of your kids who think that the world will actually physically combust into flames if you're late for school. Luckily, they were already dressed, teeth brushed, and had eaten what might resemble a breakfast (a granola bar and a banana). I literally threw some Lunchables at the kids and we got into the car at 8:27. They ended up only being 10 minutes late for school which, much to their surprise, isn't actually the end of the world. 

Then, I went home to drink a cup of coffee, because my heart wasn't beating fast enough already. And halfway though my cup, I get a phone call from work. Can you come in and work today? Like, right now?

Sure. I haven't had an unplanned enough morning. I'll be there in ten minutes. 

So I worked a full day today. Which is good actually, because post-Disney + Christmas = no money. But I somehow managed to pull something in my back, which I didn't really notice until the end of my work shift. No big deal, just annoying. 

I go to pick up the kids from school, and instantly we drive to Costco to do those errands I needed to do this morning. And by the time we got home, my back was truly hurting, and my head was pounding. Christmas activities were NOT going to happen. 

So, I gave the kids some of those gel window sticker things to make a snowy scene on our big window, and threw in Home Alone on the DVD player. There, it's Christmas. The end. 

The kids were thrilled, so I'm thrilled. Tomorrow is a new day. 

The fruits of our labor today

No comments:

Post a Comment