Saturday, December 9, 2017

Day 9: Living In A Snowglobe

So first of all, today is Brad and my 11th wedding anniversary!!

Man, that went fast. 

We started the morning off right and dumped the kids off to our friend's house so that we could have a date-morning at the firing range. Because what better way to express our love and passion for each other than to go shoot things with rifles at 9 in the morning. 

Actually, this was all kinds of awesome. I've never shot a gun (I mean, a real one, not a Nerf gun or a virtual video game one) and have always wanted to, we own two of Brad's grandfathers' rifles, and an outdoor firing range is literally 5 minutes from the base we live on. So, we brought our own ammunition and targets, and the rifles of course, and spent a couple hours shooting zombies targets. 

For a first timer, I'm not a terrible shot. 

11 years!!
No zombies better knock on my door. I can shoot!
After we were done not killing things, we went to sushi for lunch and picked up the kids. It's still 25 days of Christmas, of course, so I sent them upstairs to play for a bit while I scoured my Pinterest board for a few ideas. 

I actually found three all of which that were related, so I decided to punch them all out in the same day. 

First of all, we read a book called The Snowglobe Family about a tiny family of tiny people that live in a snowglobe (cute story, could have been done better). Then the boys cut out a large circle and kind of weird shaped stand to make a snowglobe, and tore (not cutting, the project was about ripping and making more abstract shapes) construction paper to make a snowman and some snow. Calen added a tiny house to his for fun and both boys used a white crayon to make additional snowflakes. 

I had found an additional project on Pinterest that was geared towards a classroom (I think) where kids drew a snowglobe and answered questions about "if I lived in a snowglobe". I took the questionnaire part and merged it with our torn paper snowglobe and asked the boys some questions. It turned out really cute, the ideas of what they would do and see and smell if they lived in a snowglobe. 



To keep with the snowglobe theme, we made some snowglobe-y type ornaments for our big tree. I took two clear ornaments from Michaels (which are two different sizes because I wasn't paying attention) and we filled them halfway with little tiny styrofoam snow ball things. Then I painted the boys first three fingers with white paint, and had them smush it on their individual ornaments. Once it dried, I used a toothpick to paint little faces and scarves, creating little fingerprint snowman that live in an ornament snowglobe on our Christmas tree. 

Calen left, Cam right. Calen's hands are humongous
We also took a little walk this evening to scope out some of the other Christmas light displays in the neighborhood. Even if they only put up one strand of lights, I turn into Buddy the Elf squealing and pointing "ooooooh LOOK AT THE LIGHTS!!"

I can't help it. Maybe I'm part elf. 


No comments:

Post a Comment