Monday, April 2, 2012

Mud Baths (and Meals)

Are you ready for picture overload? Because there are a LOT of pictures to illustrate this story. You are warned.

It started off innocently.

On Calen's birthday when we went to McDonalds, they were giving out little garden seed packets (isn't that just so organic of them?...yeah I was weirded out a little too). We got one, and today I finally found a flower pot in the outside nuclear disaster shed to grow them in. And it was a sunny day too. The planets have aligned!

After a trip to Walmart with a friend to get some essential household items (like Batman pajamas for Camden and Spiderman sunglasses for Calen), I took Calen out to the back yard to help me plant these little radish seeds in the pot. 

It was all so cute and innocent and fairly clean.


Now isn't this a sweet moment? A sweet boy planting radishes.


 And then we needed to water it. Which requires the hose. Unless it's far past 85 degrees out, I don't talk about the hose. I don't look at it. I don't even think about it. Because if Calen remembers the hose then he wants to play with the water. It was 50 degrees today and windy. But we needed the hose. So I used it quickly and then tried to distract him with other things.


"Hey Calen, want to go inside and watch Thomas?" (it never fails. Ever). 


"No, I want to play mud."

It failed. Shit!


Which means he wants water underneath the tomato planter. The ground is dirt (grass doesn't grow in lousy New Jersey back yards), and he remembers last summer when I would water the tomatoes, the planter would leak water onto the dirt. Which makes mud. Which makes fun.


We had had a tough day already today. Cam didn't nap and Calen was being three


So I said "sure, whatever", filled a big beach bucket full of water, and dumped it in the dirt. 


Calen was wearing khaki cargo pants and a bright white brand new white shirt. (which was half protected from his sweatshirt). And sandals with socks (it's a Pacific Northwest thing. We were raised to layer).


But I didn't intervene to change his clothes. I'm not really sure why. It was kind of an out of body experience. 


And I just didn't care today.

Gardening turned into mud pit playing. See the mud flying through the air (and on his pants)? Yeah...I do too.

Meanwhile Cam is at the screen door YELLING (because that's what he does instead of crying). He wants to go outside.

So I said "fine." I opened the door, picked him up, and plopped him directly in the mud pit. 


I really was in a strange mommy mood today. I had no self control.

Camden wasn't so sure at first. He kind of looked around and watched Brother. Then he started patting at the mud puddle. Which turned into splashing. Which turned into crawling through it and going back to playing on the deck.


Did you know that babies have little crawl tracks when their pants are muddy? I didn't either. But there they were. Little mud knee and hand prints all the way from the mud pit across the deck.

He was a little dirty but not too bad (by this time Calen was a lost cause). I thought I lucked out.

Cam in the mud pit (in the beginning). Pay attention to his shirt and what it looks like (clean) for future reference...

Then Cam crawled back to the mud pit.

And threw himself in it. 

Like, limbs thrown out, belly and face right into the mud. 

I thought he had fallen. Then I realized it was on purpose. He was doing little push-ups, up and down, into the mud.

With his mouth wide open and his tongue sticking out. He was dropping down to eat/drink/slurp the mud. Over and over. 

There were even little slurping sounds.

Mud slurping pushups. That JUST happened.

Yesterday I was already grossed out by his new love affair with the dog bone. But this was a whole new level. But again, I was in a really weird mommy mood, and I didn't stop it. Mainly because my body had a severe lack of oxygen from laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. So I took pictures. AND video. And just let it happen.

And THEN, because doing mud-eating pushups wasn't enough, he stole Calen's little bucket FULL of mud, wrapped his little hands around it, threw it up to his face and went to town munching on all the mud. 

Over and over. For like 10 minutes. 

By now he had probably eaten more mud than little orphan babies in Africa. But I didn't stop him. I.don't.know.why. Probably because it was just so out of control that it was at the point where the best thing to do is just take pictures.

So I did.

A little overexposed, but you get the idea. Can you recognize Cam's shirt anymore? Or his pants? Or...himself? P.S. there's mud in that bucket.




By now, you couldn't even tell what color my kid was. His new ethnic race was "mud". He sneezed and mud came out of his nose (I'm not kidding on that one). He came over to me to pull himself up on me and I ran away screaming (literally). 


His sudden sirens-blaring-four-alarm-emergency bath in the sink was a lot more WORK then I thought it would be. Even after rinsing him multiple times, the mud wouldn't come off! I really had to work him (and he was pissed). 

Camden in all his glory. Look at his shirt. LOOK AT HIS PANTS!!

Calen was still outside getting (not as quite) muddy. 


Laundry tonight is going to be amazing. (which I still haven't gotten to. Out of fear)


end note: Calen's white shirt actually survived this outing (for the most part) thanks to his sweatshirt being zipped up (the sweatshirt did not. Nor did his pants). I haven't decided whether to actually wash Camden's clothes or just burn them in the front yard. 

also, disclaimer: I don't know how much mud little orphan African babies eat. It's probably a lot. Also if you think I'm a heartless b-i-t-c-h for mentioning orphan babies know that our family sponsors one so it doesn't have to eat mud. 





 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment