Thursday, April 5, 2012

Spring Cleaning Is Stupid (but necessary)

I think I finally understand what the term "spring cleaning" finally means. 


I never really got it before. How is cleaning in the spring any different than any other time of year? 


But then I moved here. And I get it. It's so obnoxiously cold and windy in the winter, that if you need to put something outside (like say, in a shed), you throw your shoes on, sprint to the shed, fling open the door, and launch whatever was in your hands inside. It doesn't matter where it lands. Then slam the door and sprint back inside where it is warm. 


And after four months of throwing projectiles aimlessly into storage spaces, things get pretty out of control. But now it's spring, so it's warmer, and finally time to tackle that unnatural disaster.


So I cleaned our shed today. I'm actually pretty proud of myself! I should have taken a before picture, but I didn't think to. Just think of this after picture, add about 400 tons of shit, and put it all directly in front of the door. Then close the door and set off a small bomb, and you pretty much can envision what the shed looked like before. 

Look! The floor! We haven't seen that since November. Isn't all nice and clean and Shed-like?






In other Springy news, Calen and I made a birdfeeder out of an empty TP tube, a paper plate, some peanut butter and birdseed. He really liked rolling the peanut butter tube into the seeds (and eating most of the peanut butter). 


Making birdfeeders.

Public service announcement: whenever we do crafts/painting/coloring/anything kid related we cover our dining table with ginormous sheets of butcher paper. Sounds like a "well duh", but here's the real trick: You can buy a humongous roll of butcher paper at Costco/BJs/whatever your closest wholesale store is for like $15. You can tear off as much as you need and it lasts like 6 months. Seriously. Best.investment.ever. Don't you feel educated.

And now for something completely random.

You know what I love about babies? How easy they are to entertain. When the Caminator gets bored, all I have to do is drop some random inanimate object and he's interested for like 10 minutes. Sometimes I won't even think about what I'm dropping on the floor, as long as it isn't tiny/sharp/weapon-like/poisonous. 


Today, Cam played with metal measuring spoons, two spatulas, a whisk, an oven mitt, and an empty formula container. 


Can you tell we were in the kitchen at the time?

Also: spatulas are the best. They can slide on the floor from the kitchen all the way across the house into the dining room or bathroom, depending on where Cam is currently bored.


Measuring cups = happy Cam














No comments:

Post a Comment