Friday, April 6, 2012

Spending Good Friday Singing to Tigers

Could someone explain to me why Easter weekend is so early this year? Last year it was two weeks later (conveniently when Cammers was born). Do "they" just choose a random date every April?

So I guess the Powers That Be say that today is Good Friday. (I wonder what the date really was?). Today also happened to be our local zoo Siberian Tiger's 11th birthday. 

Talk about random dates. How do we know these things?

Maybe because there isn't anything else to do in Cape May except keep track of large predators' birthdays. 


And because we're still in birthday mode and have nothing else to celebrate around here this week, we went to the zoo to celebrate the tiger. 

Hey, the kids thought it was pretty cool. We take whatever we can get.

Ugh, I forgot that it's spring. All the wretched tourist cretins respawn this time of year and migrate to this area. It's like black mold. You scrub the walls with bleach to make them all disappear. But then, after a couple months, the entire wall is covered again. And your counters. And the floor. 

i.e: the zoo was super busy.

Damn mold. 

But we saw "Rocky" (the birthday boy-tiger) and Calen and his friend Saoirse sang him Happy Birthday. 

Singing Rocky the tiger Happy Birthday. Hey, tigers deserve birthday parties too.
 
I'm pretty sure a lot of people didn't know it was his birthday. Even though there were banners everywhere. Mold apparently is illiterate because people were looking at our kids like they were from the "special" class on a field trip.

Rocky was eating a yummy birthday cake too. Of meat.

Good thing the kids didn't notice that part.

And today I set up my new kids craft headquarters: a hanging shoe rack on the inside of the door to our hot water closet/storage area. I love this because our stupid house has a serious lack of storage space, so anything that I can get up on the walls and off the floor makes me giddy.

It holds all of the random crap activity and craft supplies that used to be stuffed in a single rubbermaid bin. You know like crayons, stickers, play-doh, Barrels of Monkeys (TOTALLY prefer it in a closet the kids can't get to instead of the toy box. Those damn green little monkeys always end up ALL.OVER.MY.HOUSE), Lego set instructions, etc. Which is a lot nicer to just open the door and say "Hmmm what shall we do today?"

I'm so brilliant.

Actually, Pinterest is so brilliant.

Public Service Announcement: keeping this in a closet with a child-proof doorknob cover thingy is smart to prevent any potential unsupervised wall/floor/everything artwork disasters. 



Note in the picture that all of the supplies that are hazardous to the well being of our children -- and our house/furniture/everything (like paint, markers, and the hot glue gun) are up high where mischievous little monsters can't get to it...
 
Tomorrow we are planning an Easter Egg hunt on the beach (isn't that just so beach town of us?), so I spent the evening shoving candy in plastic eggs.

Juno is terribly smart. She was laying next to me watching me put these pieces of candy in the eggs. Then she got up and walked past my Pepsi bottle (thus spilling it). Of course I leaped up to grab a towel. When I returned, Juno was laying in her original spot happily munching on jelly beans. 

Clever little wretch. 



"Innocently" watching me put candy in eggs...and plotting how to distract me so she can eat them.



 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment