Friday, May 25, 2012

Beach Days and Bar Nights



I like the days where you have nothing planned, not sure what the hell you're going to do all day. You start to relax and enjoy the idea of hanging out at hoe and not doing anything. Hey, what the hell, the kids are sick, let them watch tv all day. A lazy day sounds freaking fantastic.

Then suddenly you get a text from a friend a block away. "Beach this afternoon?"

Shit yes! The beach is exactly what I wanted to do today. Let's get our swim suits on, grab some towels, find the buckets and shovels, pile into the car and go! We'll be ready in ten minutes!

Actually that's not true. The boys were sleeping (even Calen) so we had to wait for them to wake up. Oh well.


Funny how your priorities change as soon as a friend says "beach.today.now"


beautiful day at the beach
 
So the kids got up and we went to the beach. The water was actually a pleasant place to be today, it's finally getting far enough into spring that it's not a Polar Bear Plunge every visit. Calen however forgot how much he likes the ocean. He was pretty nervous about it today and even told me that the "water is scary". But after lots of coaxing I think we started to chip off his anxiety.


miles of beach and ocean to play with and these four all cram into one hole.

Meanwhile Camden kept crawling towards the ocean trying to reach it, then when a big wave would come through him (not so big that it went over him, just up to maybe his wrists and ankles) he would scream and sob and sob. But then the wave would go away, and he's chase after it.

Poor little bipolar baby. 


chasing waves

 Since my lazy day was already shot (in a positive way), the boys and I went out to dinner with our next door neighbors and our friends that I went to the beach with today (and one other family of friends). We went up to the Harborview, a little family-friendly bar/pub like place for enlisted folk on base. Back in 'the day' (last year), the bar was run by this badass bar goddess (Chickie), who got you your drinks quick and usually yelled at the folks in the back if your food wasn't coming out fast enough.

Chickie isn't here anymore.


We were the ONLY people in the bar tonight. So what, eight adults and nine kids (that were eating). So a small handful. But I've been in their on a Friday night before when it's PACKED. There were two cooks and one bartender. Everything went to hell in a handbasket within four seconds. 

FIRST of all, even though I was sitting at the bar with my neighbors while we were waiting for everyone else to show up, the bartender (If I didn't know better I'd swear he was like 15) didn't even look at me and I actually had to say "EXCUSE ME" to get his attention to buy a beer. Later on, we all ordered. Simple things (it's a bar). Burgers. Hot Dogs. Grilled Cheese. Curly Fries. Very very simple things. The kids played in the game room and we waited. And waited. And waited. 

And freaking waited. 

Forty-Five minutes later I finally received my bacon cheeseburger. And I was one of the first people to get my food. The poor kids were losing their minds waiting for their food. Once everyone actually got their food (I think the last person got theirs around an hour and 15 minutes after they ordered), Calen came oozing over asking for his cheeseburger. 

He hadn't gotten his food yet!

I stormed over to the bar where the bartender kid was twiddling his thumbs and asked him just where the hell my kid's food was. Instead of apologizing, he just disappeared into the back without a word. Maybe FIFTEEN minutes later he finally showed up with Calen's burger (by now it was 7:15 and we were ready to leave). The bartender told me that he didn't hear me order the kid's meal. That's funny, because he gave me a kid's cup full of Sprite like I ordered. 

You most certainly are NOT Chickie.

Really though it was a fun night. Especially making fun of the lackluster staff in front of them and letting our kids run wild through the bar. We all filled out complaint cards and then my neighbor emailed the big boss of the club and told him to check the complaint box. Someone came and grabbed the box before we left. 

I wish I was a fly on the wall when they get their asses fed to them. 

The kids got to stay up until 8pm, and then we came home and literally crashed and burned into bed. They had a much busier day than we though. I really do love spontaneous days like this.    





No comments:

Post a Comment