Friday, February 3, 2023

Day 31: Lefse

 You'd think we'd have burned the house down today, with the amount of smoke we managed to produce in our kitchen. 

A classically trained chef, I am not. 

We learned about Norway in school today as part of our Europe unit study. Which, since we alternating days between Europe and Vikings, Norway was a perfect fit. In the foods and culture section of the study, it talked about Lefse, a potato pancake type thing that reminds me greatly of Swedish pancakes. 

I'm sure all Norwegians will be horrified at such an insult, but I mean, Sweden is your neighbor?

Anyways, a quick search on recipes on Pinterest, and I was delighted to find that we had all ingredients on hand. Well, I know what we're making for dinner tonight!

Usually, Calen is my chef, but Camden leaped at the opportunity to cook this week. So he and I mixed the dough batter for it right after school. When I told him he could smash the potatoes, he was elated, because it resembles violence in cooking so of course he thinks it's fantastic.

Smashing potatoes!



After the dough cooled for a few hours, he rolled it out and cut it, rolled it into balls and we made Lefse!

Wardrobe change: that button up had to go. Smashing potatoes makes you too hot!

Wardrobe change #2: hockey practice was in an hour so he'd get dressed in between rolling out lefse

Now,
in my defense, something is wrong with my burner. The pan got stupid hot, like smoking like the top of a volcano hot, but then when I'd turn it down to even medium, it wouldn't cook. And yes I know there's three other burners, but this is my favorite burner, and if you don't have a favorite burner you're not really a real adult. 


So yeah, a lot of smoke was involved, and they didn't turn out very pretty (they looked charred but it was really flour residue from the pan), but topped with powdered sugar and frozen strawberries they were DELICIOUS. 





No comments:

Post a Comment