Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Day 35: Moons Over My Hammy

 It was a cold, clear, uneventful winter day here. 

Camden had hockey practice and I almost turned into a Momsicle. 

But, as we were driving home from town after practice (with the heat on 90 and full blast, thank you), I glanced over Near Island and saw the most amazing orange glow in the dark sky, and knew that moon was about to rise and it was going to be spectacular. 

I quickly dove into the pull-out parking lot at the lookout on Deadman's Curve. 

Cam goes "What are we doing here?"

"Just watch and see."

And then the moon rose, huge and low on the horizon and a fantastic burning orange. Camden, who is immune to the cold, ran out in full hockey gear to watch it through one of those lookout viewfinders you see on top of towers. 

I hid in the car with the heat on and the window rolled down to watch. 

Shoddy cell phone photo, what can you do



On the drive home, Cam took my phone and researched why the moon was orange. (The answer is because it is low on the horizon and we are seeing it through a "filter" of atmosphere). His hypothesis of why the moon was so big ("because it's a spring tide!"), was correct, and I was so proud that he is actually listening to me in school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment