Monday, February 13, 2023

Day 38: Snow Day and the Shoveling Fiasco

 For the first time in what feels like months (but not really), it's a snow day! A proper snow day, with over six inches of good wet, compact snow, and, for once, not a drop of rain in sight. 




Because of this, I declared an official snow day from school. 

Just because I'm a homeschooler doesn't mean I'm a monster. 

I mean, snow days were the best days of the year in my childhood. 

The boys spent the entire day outside. After a round of skiing and snowboarding and sledding, we needed them to get to work shoveling our driveway. That snow is deep, heavy, and wet, so it took a lot of work. Afterwards, they went to work on a snow fort of their own. 




Around mid morning I received a text from my back yard neighbor, asking if she could hire Calen to shovel her walk. I said of course, and sent Calen to work. I asked if he knew which house it was, and he said yes, he's mowed their house several times in the summer before. So I left him to it. 

Calen came home absolutely exhausted, after shoveling two driveways now. He still had a job to do though, and I drove him to base to deliver his newspapers. While on base we ran into the neighbor that hired him, and she asked if Calen had found his envelope of payment taped to her door. Calen shook his head and said there was no envelope taped to her door. I said it probably fell in the snow, and we'd drive by and look for it on the way home. No big deal.




We parked at home, and I had Calen walk with me to the back yard neighbor's house. I'm following his original tracks in the snow, and it dawned on me that the tracks led in completely the wrong direction. 

"Calen, how did you get to their house?"

"What? This is the way to their house."

"Calen. This is their house over here."

And then Calen stood there, shin deep in snow, completely flabbergasted. He had shoveled the wrong house. Not just the wrong, house, some complete strangers' house. 

Perfect. 

And sure enough, when we arrived at the correct house, there was his envelope of payment. 

Tough luck did, now you have to shovel the correct house. 

That makes THREE houses that Calen shoveled in one afternoon. 

By the time he stumbled inside, he announced "my ENTIRE body is sore." And he tossed himself in front of the TV, rightfully so. 

Maybe that'll teach him to double check that he's doing the right place. 

Meanwhile, Camden build an entire snowman with his friend in the course of this odyssey.  



I couldn't get Calen to go outside for the rest of the day, and really, I don't blame him. 

Life lessons, kiddo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment