Monday, February 13, 2023

Day 36: Was Your Head Hit By A Windmill?

 Today in school, the kids learned about the Netherlands. 

I for one, will probably forever be confused about the Netherlands. I want to call it Holland. I don't understand why they're called Dutch. Even though we researched the answers to all these "whys", I'm still confused. Maybe that country does it on purpose so that so many people are confused we all never visit. 

Marketing strategy for the win. 

Luckily for me, I had saved one of Camden's last Geo-Crates (a monthly subscription box based on geography for kids) on the Netherlands, stored happily in the board game closet just waiting for it's moment to arrive. 

And here it is. Arrived. 

The Geo-Crate comes with information on that country, a recipe or two, and two crafts to do. The two crafts were what we focused on today. Camden opted to build a replica windmill, while Calen recreated a really cool yarn art of Van Gough's Starry Night. 

Did you know Vincent Van Gough was dutch? I didn't I thought he was Italian. See, we are all learning something here. 






Fun fact: A common idiom spoken in the Netherlands is asking someone "Was your head hit by a windmill?" When someone appears confused or does something stupid. That might be my new favorite saying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment