Monday, February 13, 2023

Day 39: All The Volunteer Hours

 I have this problem, and it's called "saying no to people."

Mostly, I'm a helper. It's part of my personality. I'll always help someone and I have a really hard time saying no. 

Not only have I been the team manager for Camden's hockey team for the last three years, I'm also newly appointed as the league's registrar, AND every Saturday morning I am the official scorekeeper for Camden's hockey games. 

And if that isn't enough, I usually stay behind and scorekeep or run clock for the game after Camden's, because few people know to do it. 

So that's what I did today. I was at the rink for 3.5 hours. 

And for the record, Camden's team did great. He played center and scored four goals, which is rare for my defenseman. 

He also got a tripping penalty, because as his defense coach says, "a good defenseman gets at least one penalty per game". 


Cam's teammate gave me glasses to wear in the scorebox today

Sunrise and shine for hockey!

After Camden's game, I had an entire 45 minutes to be at home, drink a cup of coffee and get ready for the next round of volunteer hours. As part of the swim club, Calen is required to put in 10 hours of volunteer time. Today was the BIG day for volunteer hours, as it is the annual Kingfisher Fish Wrap night. The entire swim club gets together and makes hundreds (and I mean hundreds) of fish wraps. Calen and I volunteered together, which counts as double volunteer hours. We stayed for four hours total, and I made wraps while Calen was a runner - literally running from the drive-thru, collecting tickets from cars, running upstairs, turning in the tickets and running down the meals to the cars. In four hours, we made and delivered 609 fish wrap dinners, and we were exhausted  by the end of it, but by goodness our volunteer hours are done, and it was good to be a part of something big for the community. 




No comments:

Post a Comment