Thursday, July 19, 2012

Calen's Room

Well since I spent a million years and blood, sweat and tears over Camden's monkey room, I figured I better not leave Calen with a boring plain jane military white room.

But, I wasn't ready for another month long extravaganza. 

If you don't know Calen, you don't know how much he loves and obsesses over cars and trucks. And trains. And monster trucks. And airplanes. And motorcycles. And pretty much anything with a motor and a pair of wheels. I'm talking obsessed. It's all he ever plays with and we can't even go outside without him showing me every.single.car that drives by. 

So, I decided he needed a car/truck/transportation/whatever room. And I wanted to make it super cool without getting too involved with it. Especially since his room is technically the biggest room in the house (it's LONG). 

Ready for a tour? Of course you do.  


Walking into Calen's new cars room.
So I left the walls white but took one of Calen's large monster trucks and dipped it in some leftover brown paint that I used for Cam's room, then "drove" all over his walls with the truck. On one wall I splattered brown paint all over the walls too but decided it I didn't like it enough to do it to the entire room. 

More room (at window facing door/closet)
Then I ordered some vintage style vehicle wall stickers (race cars, tractors, construction vehicles, semi trucks, scooters, taxis, train engines, airplanes etc etc etc) and plastered them all over on the "tracks'.

Closeup of tracks and canvases
I still wasn't that impressed with how it turned out so I bought the most awesome thing ever that I found on Amazon: an 18 inch by six foot chalkboard wall sticker. Ummm can you say awesome? So I bought it and slapped it under his window, then framed it with uber cheap wood screen door trim. Add a 65 cent box of colored chalk and you have an enormous art center!

New chalkboard art center under his window
Still wasn't totally satisfied (I'm a hard case) so I printed out and framed three photos of Calen's closest friends (with plenty of room to grow of course) so he can remember them even though they all live far away. 

Calen's friend wall. One on the left is him with Mason and Saoirse, middle is him and his bff Cameron, and right is him with Matty and Aiden.
Then on another wall I created a Gravedigger wall, with three framed pictures of his favorite monster truck (one with him and Mason in front of Sonuva Digger, one of Gravedigger autographed by the owner/driver and another just ordinary picture of Digger). 

Gravedigger wall

More room. Bookcase and his friends wall

More room.
To put the finishing touches on his room I bought a second bedspread for the second bunk. And as luck would have it I found a used vehicles comforter and pillowcase for uber cheap from a neighbor. We constantly rotate the top and bottom bunk bedspreads since Calen can't seem to decide if he wants to sleep under vehicles or dinosaurs (after all, that's like, the toughest decision on the face of the planet). And of course he has his city/road rug on his floor and his wooden vehicles all over his shelves. 

Calen's dinosaur/vehicle bunk bed. He sleeps on the bottom and we read books at night on the top
Done. 

When Calen first saw his room he announced "This is a GOOD room." I guess that means I succeeded. 

Calen wearing his new Gravedigger hat giving me the thumbs up on his new room.

No comments:

Post a Comment