Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde...without the Jekyl

Today was one of those days. 

I'm pretty sure that aliens snuck into Camden's room one night and inserted some sort of Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde type implant into his ear. Because for the past two days, Cam will be perfectly happy and smiley one minute, then suddenly, in an instant with no warning, he turns into a snarling, drooling, yelling roaring hairy beast. It's alarming enough that even Calen gives him the shifty eyes. 

Today the Dr Jekyl half must have gone on vacation to the Bahamas, because there was no break, no character change, nothing. Just 12 straight hours of snarling drooling Caminator monster hell. Did someone stick a thumb-tack into his butt cheek or something to piss him off?

Since it was the longest day in the history of ever with the kids I hired Netflix to babysit my kids today while I hid in the kitchen and pretended that I was somewhere tropical without my children. 

I had a mere 4928 tomatoes in my fridge from our garden, so I made some pasta sauce. I found a recipe on Pinterest and tweaked it a little bit in order to use what was already in my fridge. Here's what I put in the slow cooker:

13 tomatoes
1 small squash (don't ask me what kind of squash. I don't know my squashes. It was small and bumpy and kind of looked like a penis. (HEY, it's descriptive, right?))
1 yellow onion
1 green bell pepper
Some random amount of celery salt

Pre-slow cooking and blending

Then I put it on low for 3 hours. Then I blended it... in a blender. Insta-sauce. Just add seasoning and meat (and tomato paste to thicken it up if you freeze it for a while before serving). Voila. Also wins extreme organic medals or trophies or something.

Finis! Homemade pasta sauce
One saving grace we had was a Box of Awesome arrive at our door yesterday from my inlaws - chalked full of goodies for the kids: gummy bears, lollipops, pretzel letters (and a mojito mix for mommy!). And the best part (other than the mojito mix) was two boxes of themed "create a scene" style foam bath toys. Get them wet and stick them to the side of the tub to make fun little scenes and events. One was a construction zone (obviously a big hit with Calen) and the other was a jungle scene. They were super adorable and a lifesaver this evening while trying to keep the kids awake until bedtime without killing each other (or mommy's head exploding).

Bathtime awesomeness
Actually, only Calen took a bath today. Camden went to bed at 6pm. Mommy's sanity expiration date had come and gone and it was time for him to go to bed, whether he was ready or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment