Sunday, February 24, 2013

Glow Stick Party

I don't think I've gotten the point across enough times that from November through about March we are trapped. Indoors. All the time. Every day. 

And when you keep small children in small houses for months at a time, things (and people) start going a little crazy. 

Yesterday it was dark and rainy and yucky. As I was moping about in the evening I was wondering just how we were going to make it one more day without doing something to switch things up and give the kids something to do other than fighting over Matchbox cars. So, I texted my neighbor friend. 

Glow stick party. Tomorrow night. My house. 

Done. 

This is so simple and cheap it's stupid. Glow sticks are a buck for 5 at the dollar store, or a buck for 15 at Target. Buy a bunch. Crack them and make them glow. Stick them into things. Turn off the lights. Done and done. 

We blew up balloons and shoved glow sticks into them. We made bracelets and necklaces. We did a ring toss game with larger glow stick rings. We hid them in bowls of cotton candy to make the cotton glow. We Shoved them into drink cups. 

And that was pretty much it. But DISTURBINGLY entertaining to the five kids under seven in my house tonight. Especially when you add pizza. Everything is better with pizza. And glow sticks. 

Ring toss
cotton candy
beverages
       

No comments:

Post a Comment