Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Caught in the Act

This was going to be about how great it was that the kids were asleep, complete with a picture of my favorite 3 and 1 year olds asleep. Because we had a day. Oh man, did we have a day. 

Okay so it wasn't all bad. We went with friends to a public pool just outside of town. Yeah, I know we live on the ocean. But sometimes, you don't want to pack up your whole truck with beach supplies and get bit by greenhead flies and continuously stop your 14 month old from eating sand. Oh, the hardships my life has.

I brought a ring-seat-floatie thing for Camden so I wouldn't have to hold him the entire time. And I brought Calen's water wings so I wouldn't have to hold him the entire time. 

...Camden hated the floatie almost as much as Calen hated swimming without at least being held up by one hand. So I basically held them both. The whole time. (my friend was gracious enough to help with Calen). But we had a lot of fun and it wasn't too crowded, and it was good practice for Calen (who seems to have a water fear that we're trying to tackle). 

Fun, until we left that is. We would have stayed longer but Cam was starting to shiver and my arm was turning into a limp noodle from holding Lard-Butt Cam the whole time. The moment I said the words "time to go", ensue an amazing, gold medal deserving temper tantrum. Screaming, wailing, tears, snot, flailing (in 5 foot deep water no less), the works. 

Oh, THREE has not treated us well. The terrible twos are such a lie. 

The uncontrollable flood of whining and crying pretty much didn't stop for the rest of the day. I'm practically convinced that some little angry sprite or gnome or something was hiding in Calen's hair and pinching his ear to make him cry the whole time. Or something. The only thing that cooled his jets ever so slightly was ordering pizza. And eating said pizza. 

So anyways, bedtime was extremely welcoming today and as we did stories and songs and prayers I'm gleefully cheering in my head "thank GOD this day is over! I need a DRINK." 

So I waited an hour or so anticipating both kids to be asleep and to capture lovely sleeping pictures of them, but Cam was still stirring so I canned his photo op and snuck into Calen's room. 

CAUGHT IN THE ACT!! There was Calen, laying obediently under the covers, with his little toy Handy Manny flashlight "reading" a book. And then looked up at me and gave me the biggest shit eating grin I've seen in a while. 


And how could I reprimand my little bookworm? I just couldn't. So I told him "goodnight" and to stay in bed and closed his door, leaving him with his little flashlight reading his book.

Endnote: I'm pretty sure he KNEW that he was being so cute it would void all the cataclysmic whining and tantrum-throwing he did today. Smart kid, smart kid.



caught with his Handy Manny flashlight and his Little Critter's book (All By Myself). Too cute for words.





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment