Friday, June 29, 2012

Pool Boys

So we had a power outage today at a very inopportune morning since I woke up with Cam's cold and all I really wanted was to throw the kids in front of the tv and die on the couch. But instead, the power was out for over two hours for no apparent reason. 

There better have been an explosion somewhere. Or a dam bursting. Or a plane that crashed into a major power plant. Or something equally spectacular to make up for my lack of electronic babysitters this morning. 

God thinks he's funny sometimes. 

So my kids made up their own fun. We went to Costco last night and I left out the gihugant bags full of paper towels and toilet paper out because I was too lazy wasn't feeling well enough to put them away last night. Calen created a "bridge" out of them and walked back and forth on it while Cam pounded on it like a drum. 

Hey, whatever keeps you busy. 

Make your own entertainment using Costco supplies.

The neighbor boys were out in the big plastic pool early today (probably due to power outage boredom, also because it hit 91 degrees today) so we had an early lunch and went out to join them. Calen was in the pool for basically five and a half hours straight today. You couldn't get that kid to go inside if you wanted to (luckily, I didn't). He and his big buddy Kyle were swimming, boogie boarding, leaping, splashing and playing games in that pool for literally hours and hours. We also hooked up a little bubble machine that we bought yesterday which was a pretty big hit for the bigger kids (Cam wasn't impressed, but he was being a crab anyways). Even when Kyle went in for a breather, Calen stayed outside and had an Otter Pop refueling before going back at it. Even I had a good time playing in the pool with the kids. 


My excuse was that I was "keeping cool". But really I couldn't pass up the opportunity to prove to a 7 and 3 year old that I still had game and could run from one side of the pool to the other by jumping on floating boogie boards. Don't be jealous of my mad skills.

My little tadpol
I was even productive my neighbor and I bathed our combined four dogs while the kids played. And their enormous yellow lab kept launching herself into the pool and wiping the kids out which of course was our own interactive comedy show so like the good parents we are we kept encouraging the dogs to jump in and knock down all our children. 




I have an astounding sunburn on my stomach and Calen's face is dark (from tan, not from burning). The kids were basically too tired to eat dinner and were ready for bed immediately following, which to me means an extremely successful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment