Monday, March 19, 2012

Cake Day

My two year old turns three in a week.

First of all......WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!! 

sniffs, wipes tears, clears throat, composes self.

Now that that moment of devastating depression is over, we're ready to throw him a nice big birthday party tomorrow afternoon, since he didn't get a party or a big cake last year. 

I like making birthday cakes. I'm not necessary talented at such creative endeavors, but I think it nonetheless. One of my best friends back in Seattle and I used to make awesome birthday cakes for all of our kids. We don't make stupid little pan cakes with "Happy Birthday Whoever You Are" in cursive on the top either. We make extravagant themed super awesome fondant cakes. Because we're crazy, and because it's fun. It would take all day (usually the day before the party), a day we would always entitle "Cake Day". We would get together starting early in the morning, and the kids got to play together all day while we kneaded and rolled and got fondant stuck in every orifice of ourselves and our kitchen appliances. Usually we wouldn't get done until late at night. They were exhausting, AWESOME days.

Last year I was too pregnant to care about making Calen a cake. He got a lame little pan cake, but nothing COOL. So this year I was going to make it up to him. Cake is worth gold in toddler currency.

I asked Calen what kind of cake he wanted this year for his birthday. He responded:

"A car-plane-truck-bus-train-car-Lightning-Mater-dinosaur-MONSTER-TRUCK CAKE!!!!!!"

......Anything else, Calen?

So instead of creating a "where's Waldo" style cake full of every conceivable motor vehicle in the history of the universe, I had him sit with me while I Googled different types of birthday cakes.

We narrowed it down to a Monster Truck cake.

Which is pretty damn awesome. What kind of boy wants a monster truck cake? An AWESOME boy. 

First I was going to make a "topsy turvy" cake. You know a wonky sided one. But that seemed like way too much work and I foresaw absolute disaster. So I settled with a simple two tiered cake. With fondant. Everything is better with fondant. It's all colorful and smooth and neat looking and awesome. Then I used chocolate frosting to put "mud" all around the cake, including a mud road that leads to the top of the cake. Then, I bought him three brand new monster trucks, got the wheels dirty with chocolate frosting, and "drove" tracks all over the cakes before placing them on the cake. 

Let's face it. Calen probably picked out the monster truck cake on Google because it had toy monster trucks on it. Can't say I blame him. He gets a cake AND new toys. Smart kid.

I don't know why I LIKE fondant. It's impossible to use. It's sticky. It's falls apart. You have ONE shot to get it on the cake and not screw it up. But unless you're Martha Stewart (I'm not), you WILL screw it up, and it'll start to tear. And then you'll swear. A lot. And the more you swear the more the fondant will tear. And then you're basically throwing your entire cake across the room and onto the floor so the dogs can eat it.


This didn't happen today. It didn't tear, but it folded itself all funky on one side. ::shrugs:: oh well, could be worse. It could have torn and I could have thrown it across the kitchen. But it didn't, so I didn't, and it's still standing on my dining room table.

Stick three candles out on an angle in front of the monster truck on the top (looking like a ramp for the truck to jump), and you have Calen's awesome monster truck cake!

(Also. The actual cake part is marbled white and chocolate cake. I could eat it every day. Yummmm).



 

No comments:

Post a Comment