Saturday, March 24, 2012

Keeping Little Boys Busy On Rainy Days

The weather here is SO bipolar. 

Yesterday (and the day before) was a stunningly gorgeous day. 75 degrees, sunny, slight breeze, low humidity. Reminded me of a lovely summer day in the Puget Sound back home. All the windows were open, back door was open, we were loving it.

And then I wake up today and it's barely 50 degrees, pouring down rain, low visibility, humid (despite the cooler temperature), windy, soggy, gross. 

The weather does this all the time.

It's no wonder everyone gets sick so often around here. 

Of course the tease of yesterday reminded Calen just how awesome playing outside in the sandbox is, so all day today he was begging to go play in the sandbox. I wasn't interested in letting him play in the soggy weather (mainly because he's still getting over the sickies) so I made him stay inside today.

We played with his new Thomas playset, colored, built lego houses and attack helicopters (hey, even lego Duplo sets come with cannons, sa-weet!), but boredom set in fast after a few short hours and we were in need of a creative new activity, fast.

So I went upstairs looking for things to do.

And stripped Calen's bed of all his blankets, pillows, and larger stuffed animals, and brought it all downstairs. And threw it in front of the couch.

And then told Calen to start leaping off the couch into the pile of blankets. 

Calen thought this was the best game ever.

Today's game of "throw yourself off the couch"

I was sitting on the couch next to the blanket pile with Camden on my lap. Cam was watching Calen, and then threw himself off my lap and into the blankets. And laughed. And then looked at me wanting me to pick him up.

So I did.

And he threw himself into the blankets. 

Over and over. With his brother. 

Camden wanted to play too. Aren't you supposed to prevent 11 month olds from falling off the couch?

The kids had a blast with this until Calen leaped too far and landed in a pile of legos.

"OUCH!!! IT HURTS YOU!!!!!" (he has a hard time of "I" vs "you". It makes me giggle). But it didn't stop him from promptly climbing back onto the couch and continuing the game. Over and over and over. For at least an hour.

I suppose it wasn't the most constructive way to spend an afternoon, but it sure kept them busy and laughing.

And hey, if we can make it through a game like this without any ER visits, then it's a success, right?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment